Updated on by Hayley Brown
Email marketing is a key aspect of communicating with customers about a product or service. Therefore unifying them with other SaaS software within your organisation can help inform the type of email communication being sent out. Whether your email marketing is linked to your CRM, social media, or finance, the list can go on.
We put together some of the common types of email marketing integration workflows that organisations might use. As well as the different types of API connectors to integrate with.
What is Email Marketing?
First off email marketing is the process of sending a commercial message to an audience using an email provider. They tend to consist of advertisements, sales, newsletters, business correspondence, product launches, etc.
B2B, B2C and everyone in between that is selling a product or service tend to use email marketing to spread awareness about their offering. Using emails can help sales teams with lead generation, inform a user acquisition strategy, help understand audiences with reporting, and help promote new product/service launches.
Popular Email Marketing Connectors
Typical Email Marketing Integrations to Try Yourself
Email Marketing & Sales Automation
Sales and marketing are like peanut butter and jelly, they go hand in hand. So creating integrations between a sales SaaS software and email marketing platform makes sense. The automated integrations tend to help keep track of leads, existing customers, and upsell/cross-sell opportunities.
For instance, if a lead has been generated from a social media advert you can create an automated integration that will create a new sales lead in your marketing SaaS application, and then send out your ‘sales’ email campaign. All with the aim to help grow your business, and align your sales and marketing efforts.
Example Integrations: Email Marketing – Sales
- Automate any new lead from a website contact form or new customer trial to a Slack channel, or a specific sales representative, who would then follow up the lead with email marketing correspondence.
- If a customer has expressed interest in one particular product, you could automate a follow up email suggesting other products that are similar and provide more to the customer, but are at a higher price point. Ultimately using automated integrations for upsell/cross-sell opportunities.
Email Marketing & Website Automation
Acquiring new customers, subscribers or users and keeping track of them can be challenging. When the process is automated it can make the user acquisition experience seamless, and improve your lead generation strategies.
A good example of a marketing, email and website integration to have is with your contact form. Once this form has been filled out, subscribing to a blog or newsletter, the user can be automatically added to the blog/newsletter mailing list. They would then receive a ‘welcome’ campaign email, followed by the monthly blog/newsletter on the relevant date it is realised. They could also be added to your ‘sales’ email campaigns, where they are sent relevant products or services.
Example Integrations: Website – Email Marketing
- New trial sign up, add new customer to trial mailing list, send ‘trial welcome campaign’, delay, send ‘halfway through trial’ campaign, delay, send ‘trial ending campaign’, delay, send ‘feedback & next steps’ campaign
- Trigger an email reminder when a customer has had an item in their basket for a while or if they have abandoned checkout.
Email Campaign Performance Reporting
To understand how customers are interacting with a brand’s marketing, and emails, an integration between the email marketing software can be set up with an analytical tool. For instance, updating analytic goals with new clicks in the email campaign, creating new measurements when emails are opened or new subscribers.
With some marketing and email providers such as MailChimp analytics or reporting can be included within your account, as well as linked to your Google Analytics. It will help inform your marketing efforts and future email campaigns.
Example Integrations Reporting – Email Marketing
- Produce monthly reports for email marketing campaign open rates
- Sync data with analytics to see if emails are successful in referral to website
- Monitor email marketing campaigns clicks, impressions etc.
- Combine campaign data with your CRM to get better insight into what content resonates with your clients
Email & Ecommerce Systems Integration
Integrating customer data such as their birthday with your email marketing helps create a personalised user experience. Using customer data from a CRM or Ecommerce SaaS platform which could search for customers that match a supplied query, in this case a ‘birthday’ field. An email marketing campaign can then be triggered once a customer(s) birthday in the appropriate mailing list is reached, either before or on the event. Each customer has their own unique URL so when it is clicked it will take them to a landing page which features their own birthday discount code.
Creating personalised experiences for your existing customers can help encourage future purchases, and serve as a reminder if they haven’t used your product/service for a while. Personalised emails can also increase your click through rates due to a personalised offer, and increase interest in your products/services through a positive user experience.
Example Integrations: Ecommerce – Email Marketing
- New product launch with email marketing campaign
- Send a valid short term discount code to loyal customers
- Trigger a ‘customer birthday’ email campaign based on CRM customer data
Why Integrating Email Marketing systems are beneficial to your organisation?
When syncing marketing and emails with other SaaS software within an organisation it can help orchestrate the data, allowing a marketing department to tie systems and processes together. Allowing them to unify their email marketing with their CRM, point-of-sale, and analytic tools for personalised, efficient communication with customers, and help create a seamless experience.